Instagram: @alex__swanson

Sunday, October 10, 2010

The way things are

I haven't written a long(ish) post in a while, but I figured now was as good of a time as ever.
I learned about two terms in class last week, "Preciosity" and "Mystification"
The first: Using words to make things seem more precious than they really are
The latter: Making something sound intriguing and great through a sense of mystery.
I thought that this translated perfectly into surfing, in that I can be so easily swayed by a brand name.
When I first started surfing, I did it because it was purely fun, the more involved I got over the years, the more I based what I thought on surfing publications and what "big" names told me.
I've learned that it really doesn't matter what household names tell you what's cool, uncool, right, or wrong. It all has to do with YOUR perception.
Basically, it's all about you enjoying something for the sake of enjoying it, not because of what "influential" people tell you.
I want to leave you with one more thing, and that's to enjoy surfing for surfing, to have fun no matter if it's "cool" or not.
Once you learn this, I promise that surfing and life gets really fun :]

No comments: