Instagram: @alex__swanson

Thursday, October 01, 2009

Timeless Style

Skip Frye. Surfer. Shaper. Legend.
This guy has pushed surfing to what it is today.
He began surfing in 1958, and has been going since.
He helped pioneer the fish, and keeping the longboard alive.
Every once in a while, I see him surfing out at Sunset Cliffs.
The last time I saw him, he was on a beautiful blue 11 ft. board, he was the smoothest paddler I've ever seen.
He is constantly moving from spot to spot, which is one of the reasons why people know him so well.
Last year I drove by this group of 4-5 guys, three older ones and two younger ones, all around Skip Frye. I don't know what they were talking about, but whatever it was, it looked like Mr. Frye was giving them all the time in the world.
While he may be "superstar" in the surfing world, he still as down to earth and humble as he was in the 60's.


No comments: