Instagram: @alex__swanson

Monday, September 28, 2009

The Sea Is A Good Place To Think Of The Future

"The Sea Is A Good Place To Think Of The Future"
The title to the latest Los Campesinos song is easily relatable to wave sliders all around the world. If you've been surfing for 40 years, or for 40 days, you have more than likely felt that connection with the Ocean. The calming effect it has on the soul. The way it clears your mind. The absolute, raw power that is exerted from the Pacific herself. It brings you down a level. It raises you to a surreal place.
When you're out there, by yourself, or with 100 other guys fighting for that "perfect" wave, just close you're eyes and sit and think. Take a deep breath and think of how insignificant you really are. It is a humbling experience to think of how powerful the Ocean really is.
I paddled out in the deepest fog I've ever been in last week. I couldn't even see the shore, but I knew it was there. That was comforting. But the fact that I was out there, by myself, with only my thoughts, was a little overwhelming. The fact of the matter is, whenever you need to get away, an escape, go for a surf session to clear your body and your mind.
The sea really is a good place to think of the future.

No comments: